Behold pictures below of the latest motorcycle project: a R100T with 77k miles on the odometer. She appears to be a good, solid platform for an enlightening winter project. My current line of thinking is to repair all mechanical issues and along the way, take her in the general direction of a "cafe racer" and/or a "bobber" combination. In my initial inspection while buying her, I noticed a lot of deferred maintenance, so I'm going to have to start there and as my budget allows, get into the customization I have in mind. The mechanical "must do's" include all of the following:
- Rebuild Carburetors (pics) - DONE
- Have transmission rebuilt (pics). - DONE
- Adjust Valves & Inspect Valve Head Thickness (BMW had exhaust valve issues on this model year) DONE.
- Rebuild throttle cam and replace throttle cables - DONE
- Overhaul choke system and repair as necessary - DONE
- Install a kick stand. Original stand is missing, PO removed it - DONE
- Remove, inspect and repair exhaust system. It is very corroded and rusty so I assume it will not be complete once I remove it. DONE
- Repair Battery Acid Erosion (pics) DONE
- New fluids for motor, tranny, final drive - DONE
Customizations I have in mind include:
- Remove "smog" or "secondary air system." This will clean up some of the clutter around motor. DONE (I will post pics soon)
- Correct the current "ride off" center stand (an aftermarket stand popular in the era, but it is currently difficult to use and the bike seems to want to tip over). - DONE
- Polish wheels - DONE
- Change bars to "club man" style or straight "drag bars" - DONE
- Look for a small faring - Not Started
- Repair the whiskey tango holes left over on the rear cowl from the previous owner's aftermarket luggage rack - DONE
- Replace the seat with something more appealing - DONE
- Remove stock mirrors and replace with bar end mirrors - DONE
Here are some pictures from the first day I owned her. I think you can click on these to enlarge. Further down, I'll give some examples of the general direction I want to take her....
| Day of Purchase -- Love the Rust |
| Seat has about 70k miles on it! |
| Love the custom holes in the rear cowl. |
And this is the general direction I plan on going with the project:





No comments:
Post a Comment